Sunday, February 1, 2009

Art In Schools

I think that I heard somewhere that they are thinking about reducing the arts in public schools. I think that is a shame. First of all, art can be really useful as a tool to help students express themselves in ways that they might not be able to do in other classes or in other ways. I have been looking up websites that are for keeping art in public schools, and ways of enhancing the art programs of schools. One website that I found interesting was www.artinaction.org its a whole program dedicated to bring visual art education to the classroom, and they are nonprofit.
I think I would like to do something like that when I become a teacher. I want my students to be able to appreciate art, take it in, become creative and use their imaginations. Art also keeps kids out of trouble.
Who ever thought of reducing art in public schools obviously was not looking at the big picture. Keeping art in schools can improve student's grades, their ideas, their achievements and their lives. Art is fun and should definitely not be taken away. Everyone should be able to do art and enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Though I am not a very good artist, I loved art class in school. I had some really crazy but great art teachers in high school. I think that if they were to take art out of schools there would be a lot of students upset. As you said it is a way for students to express themselves and show their creativity. Art is also a way for students to get better and start a portfolio, because if they want to go to an art school in the future they are going to need to show previous work. Art class gives them something to show it also gives them positive feedback on the art. ART SHOULD STAY IN SCHOOLS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you too. However, I can also understand why others believe art should be taken out of schools. At this time, the United States' economy is falling. People think that by reducing some programs, students will be able to concentrate their time to areas like math and science. People hope that we will then become "smarter" (meaning math and science smart) and be able to compete with other countries like China. I think the answer should be to come up with better ways to make math and science more interesting that way students would understand them. Everyone would win and there would be no need to take out art from schools.

    ReplyDelete